Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content
ENGLISH   |   MALAY

Skip Navigation LinksBrief History of Land Transportation in Brunei Darussalam


new u2 u3 u4.png


  • 1907 :   First footpath was built between Residency and Brunei Town at Jalan Subok.
  • 1914 :   60 miles road under pilot scheme was constructed to link Brunei Town and Kuala Belait.
  • 1924 :   The Road Traffic Act chapter 68 was firstly introduced in 1924 and was known as "The Traction Engines and Motor Cars Enactment 1924".
  • 1926 :   21 unit vehicles were firstly registered in 1926.
  • 1928 :   The government bus service was launched from Tutong District and Belait District at a distance of 35 miles.
  • 1929 :   45 unit of vehicles were registered and 58 drivers were issued the Driving License by the Police Department.
  • 1930 :   Number of vehicles registered increased to 73 units.
  • 1950 :   1,500 vehicles were registered ( 975 vehicles were registered in Kuala Belait and 225 in Brunei Muara District ) while 2,048 Driving Licenses were issued.
  • 1954 :  "The Traction Engine And Motor Cars Enactment 1924" ​was amended and known as the "The Road Traffic Enactment 1954". Enforcement and administration was regulated by the Chief Police Officer.
  • 1960 :   7,992 vehicles were registered and 7,519 Driving Licenses were issued with a total income of $294,212.00.
  • 01 January 1962 :  The Land Transport Department (LTD) was established in Bandar Seri Begawan and Dato Paduka Inche Abd Ghani bin Jamil became the First Controller of Land Transport.
  • January 1969 :  LTD was transferred to a one story building at Km 5 Jalan Gadong ( known as Brunei / Muara District branch).
  • 1984 : The Road Traffic Enactment 1955 amended and rename as Road Tracffic Act Chapter 68.
  • 25 July 1996 :  LTD moved to its present Headquarters Building Km 6 Beribi, Jalan Gadong.

History Chronology copy.jpg